Name:
Location: ohio

Monday, February 13, 2006

Whynot's trip reports

Whynot's trip reports

Rope Brothers
Looking forward to getting on some good routes is what occupies my mind alot. It's freezing cold outside, mid February, and I havent been climbing in a month, and I prolly won't for another month,but I can still think about it.
Anytime I want. It's not only the climb I miss. It's my climbing partners too. Warm pretty days spent cragging with your buds are the spice of life. I spent two or three years learning my lessons climbing with Di. Shes a teenager trapped in an adult's body. She followed me up lots of grubby trad routes and never complained,even if she was hurt. A couple years ago I started climbing more with Dwayne. We spent a week one fall, on the road, climbing.
Sitting on top of Seneca rocks, smoking a Marlborro, with the wind blowing and the afternoon sun shinning on us, always comes to mind. It was one of those unforgetable times. the little town of Seneca where we started that morning was tiny looking and oh so far away. Getting down was an adventure that day. I didn't think climbing got any better than that but then we went to Table rock in North Carolina. 5 pitches up,on top of a mountain, we could see for miles and miles. One pitch was almost a whole ropelength. The longest pitch I ever lead. Nothing there but trees and we were looking at the top of them like it was a lawn. I always feel so alive up there. Maybe it's because you earn the view. I love that. It's like magic. A magical feeling in a magnificeint setting.
Last year I started climbing with two ladies I ran into at Longwall. Ginger was in a tough spot on a trad route I was wanting to do but they beat me to it. I volunteered to finish it. Tonya is her rope sister and prefers sport but is happy to follow us. We all keep an eye out for a wide crack to test our skills. Having 3 racks to draw from is handy too.
Fullmoon went on my ticked off list a long time ago but I thought it would make for a good days climb for the four of us,last summer. We had a great time doing it in two pitches. Such a forgotten classic! I bet it only sees a couple ascents a year. Lots of pictures from that day take me back. Good climbs, good partners and friends, good weather.
Good Tang, Octopus Tag, Cavers for the umpteenth time(I never get tired of doing Cavers) and a host of other wide wonders provided seemingly endless hours of upward joy.
I get older and fatter and those days get fewer, but I bet I have endless stories to tell my grankids. Who knows maybe Di and Dwayne, Ginger and Tonya, myself and my grandkids, and theirs will go cragging in the sun one day.
Feb 06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home