Name:
Location: ohio

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Winter Climbing

It didn’t start out the way I had in mind. I got up to go climb at 7 but when I walked out of the house it was still dark,really cold, and it was snowing. There was already an inch on the ground and the road. I made it downtown OK before I turned around. The interstate was closed. My truck turned around all by itself. Seriuosly. The roads were slick as snot. I headed home. I only made it a little way up the hill going to my house. I walked for over a mile in the blinding wind and snow and left my truck there. I should think about getting something with frontwheel drive.
It was 3 in the afternoon when I made it to Red River. I was to meet my partner at 9:30 that morning. We met up at the climbers hostle later that night. I love staying at the hostle. You just can’t beat the atmosphere. Nice people to sit around the fire and chat with, a cozy bed and a killer breakfast to get you going the next morning. It was single digit temps that night and still below freezing the next morning but the sun was out and the forecast called for 32 degrees, so we went to Muir valley for the day.
Peter lead a sweet new 5.7 trad route at a new place called West Wall. The rock wasn’t too cold with the sun hitting it but jamming numbed the fingers. At every rest stance I slipped my tips under my arms between my shirt and jacket untill the feeling came back. The other problem with winter climbing is the fact that your climbing shoes are so darn cold! About the time they warm up you have to change shoes again. The routes were great and the climbing good so it was worth it. We did Indecision 5.8+ at the Stadium, next. It’s just as good a route. Bouldery at the bottom, through a roof to a nice hand and fist crack with a bulge or two. The ledge at the anchors is nice and spacoius and the sun felt great so we hung out a few and took pictures. We could see the owners new cabin across the valley on the opposite cliff top. We did ED 5.7 after that and I lead that one. It’s a stemming route and my legs were on fire near the top. I was tempted to Take but I am glad I didn’t. Peter lead it too and I cleaned so we did 2 laps on it. We walked over to Shock and Awe and Peter lead it up. It was so cold at the belay I didn’t want to put my frozen climbing shoes on again to follow it so I declined and we hiked out. Not a bad day at all. A bit chilly but a day out climbing is time spent living so I would do it again.
Jesse New Feb 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home