Name:
Location: ohio

Sunday, June 11, 2006

News from the Front

This just in from my bud,Chris:
--Begin Transmission--
OMFNG! Those words literally came out of my mouth as I turned the bend and came into full sight of El Capitan, Half Dome, Middle/Lower Catherdraland The Sentinal. This is a very very special place on Earth. You can feel it in the air. There's power here that, which ever faith you beleive in, truly exists here. I been climbing hard now for 5 days straight. I didn't know today was saturday until a few minutes ago. I haven't known the time of day in days.Wake up...eat...hike..climb...eat...hike... climb...eat...sleep.Thats the procedure. Everything else is gone. Car payments, Apartments, Jobs, Drama....Chaos...It all goes away with this regimen. Its not easy to let go of everything but there's only time to be hungry, cold, hot, and scared shitless...not time to even hurt. I'm not the only one here doing this. There are two guys named Thomas and Alexander Huber that are in the valley. They are working on climbing 3600feet in sub two hours as I write this email! Say that out loud... Three thousand and six hundred feet. Thats about 3/4 of a mile....straight up. They are working The Nose route on El capitan. These men are hands down no doubt about it the strongest men in the world. I am inspired by these gentlemen. Everytime I think I just can't doit, that theres nothing else left...I know these guys dooo do it. That line of exhaustion gets pushed further. Somehow somewhere a little sliver of energy is left and i'm not as tired as I thought I was. My mind clears and gravity is defeated yet again.Camp 4 is hopping with activity and news. Today the buzz is about the Huber brothers Most are in the El Cap meadow with binoculars and sightscopes watching. Me and my partner aren't couch climbers. We knocked off a 700 foot climb left of Serenity Crack & Sons of Tomorrow for those who know whats up. We watched the two peregrine falcons battle battle over a "fish / snake / the wing of another bird". There screeches no doubt could be heard a mile away. This battle took place right above us. Yesterday, a couple big wallers came down from the zodiac...after 6days! The day before that it was the 60 feet of snowpack still at the base of hald-dome. Climbers have been getting spanked left and right by this. The YOSAR (yosemite search and rescue) chopper has flown twice since I've been here. Thats always a bad bad sign. Theres been no news regarding. Camp4ers have been coming and going. , I'll have to sleep under the stars up by the rock. I hope no rocks fall on me while I sleep...what a way to go that would be! What else? Swimming! I swam in the Merced (mer-said) River yesterday. This river is a raging and trechorous monster. Its also stone stone cold. A dive into this beast and any iota of soreness and pain is washed away. All is takes is about 15 seconds, lol.Well...Thats it for storytime. My partner is itching to go to a new area for a series of 5.8, 5.9 and 5.10s one pitch climbs.-Chris Callegar
--End Transmission--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home