Name:
Location: ohio

Sunday, March 18, 2007

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK

It was the ideal weekend to cut up the tree that fell in the ice storm we had.
First I had to fix the chainsaw I borrowed. A piece of wiper hose from the auto supply made a decent gas line and it fired right up. It's been cutting like a beaver since. I managed to get the biggest limb that fell in my yard all cut up without too much trouble. the next one fell on the nieghbors yard barn. I borrowed a nice step ladder, climbed up on the roof,and went to work on it. The wind kept blowing the sawdust back in my face and I got both eyes full of it before I had sense enough to go get my safty glasses. I tossed it all off into my yard and cut it up before it got dark on me. Bright and early Sunday I got up looking forward to the final limb.
(It was almost noon before I got motivated) This one was balanced across the top of the niegbors small flowering tree about 15 feet off the ground out of reach. I had thought about what to do with it the day before and was tempted to say to hell with it. I studied the problem from my backyard with a cup of coffee. Usually I just jump into things. I devised an ingenious plan. I'll hang a pulley from the rest of the tree and hook one end to the limb where it's resting on the other tree and use a gri-gri hooked to some anchor to control it just like a climber. I dug out my retired harness and my old rope and the pulley I bought for some reason when I was a gumby but never used. I knew that thing would be handy someday. I donned the harness, rigged my pulley and rope and a couple of my good slings and a daisy to hook myself up to the tree. I climbed up to where the base of the limb was hanging close to the tree I was climbing. I had already cut it loose the day before. I'm stemming with one foot on the fence and one on the stump of a limb and under this loose limb the size of a small persons waist. I gave it a push just to see what it would do and it falls off the top of the flower tree onto a lower limb. Perfect for cutting up from the niegbors yard. Dangit. So much for all my elaborate rigging plans. It was gonna be cool. Maybe I can donate that pulley I'm never going to use to the gear auction. Nah , I'll use for something. Some day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home