Name:
Location: ohio

Thursday, May 31, 2007

FALLING!

D ,following in the very spot and same stance on Big Money 5.9 at Pebble Beach
The route was called Big Money. I was up under the roof ,about 45 feet up and way past my last cam. My arms were on fire from a long layback. You know, that deep burning in the muscles that are starving for enough Oxygen. I had already fallen off the route once and D caught me just fine, but man that last piece of gear looked like it was way below me and the fall would be twice that and more. I was breathing heavy and getting nervous, but I hung on to a big hold under the roof and managed to unclip a cam. I really did not want to take that fall. It just wasn't fitting in the crack anywhere. D and Tonya are below shouting encouragements. "Come on,stay with it!" Do I fight with it or waste more energy getting another cam from my harness? I shoved it in a horizontal on the right face. It looked solid enough, So I try to yell "Take" only my throat is so dry I sound like a frog. D pulls the rope tight ,the cam holds and I'm OK, and I can rest now. Whew!!! but those seconds when I'm hanging there wasted ,fighting gear and trying to keep my crap together in my head are way better than any amusement park ride.
several of us toproped the route and I discovered a great handjam right where I was in so much distress. why didn't I see that when I was leading? Oh well. I have the beta to get the send now, and I unlocked the route myself. If I get to climb this weekend I think Big Money might just be my destination.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why wear tape if you know not how to handjam........

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home